Learn to drive with either weekly driving lessons or an Intensive Driving Course.

Acclaim Logo

Call 0800 838 440 or book a lesson online

What do I need to buy a car?

Looking for some tips on what you need when buying a car? For any first time driver, it can be a daunting experience if you aren’t sure of what to look out for, let alone what documentation you need if you're a learner or have just passed your DVSA driving test.

The great news is, when buying a car, you won’t need to supply much paperwork, as long as you can provide your driver’s licence to prove that you are eligible to drive. Of course, you will need to set up your car insurance and road tax, so you will need some documentation from the person selling you the car. 

This documentation will usually be a receipt of purchase as well as the ‘new keeper’ green slip, which proves that you own the car before your V5C documentation arrives in your name. In terms of the old V5C documentation, this will need to be sent away to DVLA to declare that you are the new registered keeper and that the old keeper no longer has the car. This green slip is temporary until your own V5C document arrives. With the old V5C, you will be required to fill out your personal information so that DVLA knows you are the new keeper and has a record of your address, so the new V5C logbook can be sent to your home.